You’re ready to earn your TRUE Advisor certificate. You're passionate about zero waste and understand the benefits of becoming a TRUE Advisor. You're eager to join a community of dedicated, enthusiastic professionals committed to sustainability and pursuing zero waste. So how do you get started?
Here are the five steps to becoming a TRUE Advisor:
1. Download the TRUE Advisor Program Handbook.
The handbook can be found in the Resources section of the TRUE website. The guide includes details on program requirements, course modules and the exam. We encourage you to refer back to this resource often.
2. Register for the TRUE Advisor certificate program.
Get started by creating a USGBC account, if you don’t already have one. You will use your account information to log into your TRUE account at true.gbci.org. After you are logged in, register and pay for the TRUE Advisor certificate program. USGBC members receive a discount on registration.
Once you register, you will have 90 days to complete the TRUE Advisor program. Refer to the TRUE FAQs page for more information on registration, pricing and other program details.
3. Complete the 12 course modules of the TRUE Advisor program.
The course modules will be available after you register and log in to your TRUE account. We recommend scheduling one module per day, or at least three modules per week. To stay motivated and energized, try to progress through the modules on a consistent schedule.
To guide yourself through the modules, print out the notes at the beginning of each module (you can also access all guided notes in the introduction module). As you go through the modules, take notes as you need them, and mark down which sections you’d like to revisit.
Each module contains a resource section, which allows you to reinforce your knowledge on items that are still unclear or concepts you’d like to learn more about.
4. Study for your exam.
Make sure you review any notes you took throughout the course modules and revisit sections or concepts that were unclear. It is also important to download and review the TRUE Guide to Certification, TRUE Rating System and TRUE Advisor Program Handbook on the Resources page.
5. Launch your TRUE Advisor exam.
You can launch your exam at any time after you have completed your modules. Before starting the exam, it is important to note:
- The exam is timed. You will have 90 minutes to complete it. Many people will need all 90 minutes, so choose an exam time when you will be uninterrupted, and keep an eye on the clock.
- Make sure you have access to a reliable Internet connection to complete your exam.
- Answer each question carefully and thoughtfully.
- You will need 77 percent to pass your TRUE Advisor exam. You will receive your score immediately after submitting your exam.
- A report that breaks down your score by exam sections will be sent to you within 24 hours. If you passed your exam, you will be able to download your TRUE Advisor certificate within 24 hours.
Once you pass the exam, you will officially be a TRUE Advisor and can opt to be featured in the TRUE Directory. To learn more, visit the TRUE Advisor section of the website or email TRUE with specific questions.