Rethink the resource life cycle
TRUE is a whole systems approach aimed at changing how materials flow through society, resulting in no waste. TRUE encourages the redesign of resource life cycles so that all products are reused.
TRUE promotes processes that consider the entire lifecycle of products used within a facility. With TRUE, your facility can demonstrate to the world what you’re doing to minimize your waste output.
A better approach to resource use and facility operations
TRUE does not require big financial investments. TRUE implementation can be as simple as transforming trash bins into recycling bins and fostering a zero waste culture.
Support public health & ecosystems
With TRUE, you support systems that encourage material reuse and recycling. TRUE is your tool to help eliminate pollution — in our air, water and land — which threaten public health and ecosystems.
Cut your ecological footprint
By participating in TRUE Zero Waste certification, facilities commit to reducing materials, using recycled and more benign materials, longer product lives, reparability and ease of disassembly at end of life.
Advance a green economy
TRUE promotes positive forces for environmental and economic sustainability in the built environment by protecting the environment, reducing costs and producing jobs throughout our economy.
Save on operational costs with TRUE
TRUE certified spaces are environmentally responsible, more resource efficient and help turn waste into savings and additional income streams. By closing the loop, they cut greenhouse gases, manage risk, reduce litter and pollution, reinvest resources locally, create jobs and add more value for their company and community.
How TRUE works
- Company or project seeking certification has a zero waste policy in place
- Project has achieved an average of 90 percent or greater overall diversion from landfill, incineration (waste-to-energy) and the environment for solid, non-hazardous wastes for the most recent 12 months. Diverted materials are reduced, reused, recycled, composted and/or recovered for productive use in nature or the economy
- Project meets all federal, state/provincial, and local solid waste and recycling laws and regulations. Project complies with all air, water and land discharge permits required for collection, handling or processing of materials.
- Project has data documenting a base year of waste diversion, and measurements since the base year that adjust for changes in size, type and nature of business
- Project submits 12 months of waste diversion data to GBCI annually to keep the certification current
- Project does not exceed a 10 percent contamination level for any materials that leave the site
- Company submits a case study of zero waste initiatives to be published on this website
Guide to Certification
Explore our TRUE project directory
Be recognized as a zero waste professional
TRUE Advisors are professionals who are trained on the TRUE Zero Waste Rating System. TRUE Advisors understand the requirements of the rating system, help projects achieve TRUE certification and are committed to advancing zero waste values and policies. As a TRUE Advisor, you’ll be the resident expert at your company in supporting and implementing zero waste programs and leading facilities through the certification process.
Zero waste is our mission
The TRUE Zero Waste certification system helps facilities quantify their performance and find additional ways to improve their progress toward zero waste.
Director, Market Transformation & Development
TRUE Advisory Council
The TRUE Advisory Council provides industry leadership and experience.
Richard Anthony Associates
Orange Coast College
Sierra Nevada Brewing Company