Nexii is a green construction company. We design, manufacture, and assemble green buildings and products that are sustainable, cost-effective, and climate resilient. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, Nexii currently operates plants in Squamish, B.C. and Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. Nexii is scaling up to supply all North American markets with industrial, commercial retail, multi-story, and residential buildings, as well as EV charging infrastructure. The Squamish facility is a full-scale commercial production plant that opened in March, 2021. The facility is 80,000 sf, and includes a small office space and lunch room.
Nexii’s mission is to build a vibrant future for people and the planet. One of Nexii’s Profound Positive Impacts, or how we are changing the world for the better, is to eliminate waste. We drive progress by embedding Zero Waste principles into our design and manufacturing process, achieving zero waste certification at our plants, eliminating waste on our construction sites, and developing relationships with suppliers and local reuse markets for any end-of-life materials we generate.
Nexii’s Zero Waste working group includes team members from Sustainability, Purchasing, Plant Operations, and Safety departments. The group is responsible for TRUE reporting requirements, and in 2022, has:
- Conducted a plant-wide waste audit
- Created a material reuse and recycling program to further divert waste from the landfill
- Developed educational training resources for plant staff, including a Zero Waste Policy, Zero Waste content in orientation materials, and a Zero Waste Purchasing Policy
- Created clear waste and recycling signage informed by best practice guidance
- Worked closely with haulers to confirm selection of the best and highest use for each material stream leaving the site
- Supported material reuse and recycling programs for high throughput materials, such as Nexiite and EPS
Nexii's Squamish Plant’s achievement of the TRUE Gold Certification demonstrates Nexii’s commitment to waste reduction by implementing best practices for waste management at every stage of our manufacturing process.
It is important for Nexii’s Squamish facility to be TRUE certified as a demonstration of Nexii’s deep and ongoing commitment to sustainability, supported by third-party verification. We gained valuable insights from the certification process in collaboration with our suppliers, waste hauling partners and dedicated TRUE advisors. Nexii continues to seek ways to minimize our environmental impact and waste reduction is an integral part of that strategy. Nexii is dedicated to managing resources thoughtfully, designing waste out of its system, and working toward a circular economy.
“Nexii’s achievement to be TRUE certified showcases that sustainable construction is possible, and the company is well-positioned to take a leading role in delivering innovative and circular products at scale,” said Zosia Brown, VP Sustainability at Nexii.