Opened in 2021, Q2 Stadium is the state-of-the art 20,738-seat, soccer-specific venue that features a natural grass playing surface and a signature canopy structure offering shade and coverage for all seats, while providing an unequaled event atmosphere. Home to Major League Soccer’s Austin FC, Q2 Stadium has also become a frequent stop for US Soccer – hosting the Women’s and Men’s National teams a total of six times in the venue’s first three years. While also hosting concerts and other international soccer matches, Q2 Stadium has established itself as one of the country’s premier sports and entertainment venues.
Beginning with the stadium design and construction process, and while receiving LEED Gold Certification from the U.S. Green Building Council in November 2021, Q2 Stadium has maintained a commitment to sustainability. As it continues its journey towards zero-waste, the venue has implemented additional strategies and practices focused on diverting as much waste as possible during events and day-to-day operations.
• Intentional choices at all concession and catering locations to utilize compostable materials (plates, napkins, cups, flatware, etc.) throughout the stadium.
• Implementation of stadium policies targeted towards waste diversion and fan comfort. For example, Q2 Stadium allows all fans to bring and utilize their own reusable drink vessel at all events leading to the removal of an estimated 50,000 plastic water bottles from our waste stream per year.
• Utilization of the venue’s back-of-house spaces to establish efficient on-site waste-sorting procedures. Beginning in 2023, venue staff is tasked with sorting all waste generated during Austin FC matches and other full-stadium events with the intent of increasing diversion and reducing contamination.
• Establishing a widespread Sustainability Platform with buy-in and participation from several corporate partners, led specifically by YETI, intent on increasing fan and community awareness of Q2 Stadium’s sustainability goals.
• Regular and detailed conversation with our waste hauler, Texas Disposal Systems, to ensure best practices and utilization of their state-of-the-art facilities and resource recovery methods.
• Maintaining and evolving focus on fan and staff education via in-stadium signage, scoreboard videos, social media content, and more.
“Sustainability was an integral part of Q2 Stadium’s design and it continues to be a top priority as we strive to make the venue a home that Austinites can enjoy for years to come,” said Austin FC President Andy Loughnane. “It’s an honor to receive this recognition for the stadium’s commitment to achieving zero waste.”
Learn more about Q2 stadium's sustainability journey.